Saturday, September 10, 2011

Repurposed Card Catalog

I still have a hard time believing this piece of furniture is really mine and I didn't even have to pay a penny for it! 


The library at the school I went to was just giving them away...what the what? I know.


I must admit this isn't the most complicated or inventive project but one worth sharing. As you can see the card catalog has 60 very narrow drawers, which to me means 60 junk drawers. There was no way we'd ever remember what was in each of them so we decided to dummy out 2 rows on top and 2 on the bottom like so...


To do this we detached the top drawer in our 2 drawer combination.


Once the face was removed we connected it to the drawer that would be directly underneath it with a T-Bracket.


And the front...


We loved the original look of the card catalog, knobs and all but since we were going to be filling the drawers with movies we needed to detach the rods.


A grinder took them right off...


Now we have a beautiful and functional card catalog that no one would ever guess is housing dvd's.


Thanks for stopping by! This week I will be linking up to Miss Mustard SeedThe Shabby Nest, and French Country Cottage.

10 comments:

  1. Such a lucky duck! Wish I could have one of those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So absolutely beautiful!! So lucky to have this treasure!! Would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too scored a card catalog for free and I love it!! I can appreciate all the work that went into fixing it up . . . so many drawers but SO worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh this had to take a TON of work & time! This was a very brave undertaking, congratulations it looks like it will work wonderfully for your needs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an undertaking and so beautifully done! Would love for you to link up to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I paid $500.00 for mine and it is just like yours. A library in a different state had them on ebay. I plan on painting mine in Chalk paint and distressing the heck out of it. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. I work in a library and we have a short one and very small one. Great idea of what to use them for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there- just letting you know I featured this at this weeks party~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete